Monday, August 08, 2005

"Thanks for putting me there"

Classic Times spin—painting Cindy Sheehan as a "problem" for the president to solve.

Still, I suppose one must take what one gets. Stop the presses. The New York Times acknowledged the existence of a war protester. And once covering the story, can't avoid Sheehan's account of her "disgusting" previous encounter with the president (follow link for details).

By Ms. Sheehan's account, Mr. Bush said to her that he could not imagine losing a loved one like an aunt or uncle or cousin. Ms. Sheehan said she broke in and told Mr. Bush that Casey was her son, and that she thought he could imagine what it would be like since he has two daughters and that he should think about what it would be like sending them off to war.

"I said, 'Trust me, you don't want to go there'," Ms. Sheehan said, recounting her exchange with the president. "He said, 'You're right, I don't.' I said, 'Well, thanks for putting me there.' "

I hesitate to use an often-abused word, but Cindy Sheehan is, quite simply, a hero.

No comments: